[Standards] Binary data over XMPP

Michal 'vorner' Vaner vorner at ucw.cz
Mon Nov 5 16:41:01 UTC 2007

Hello

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 04:24:17PM +0000, Richard Dobson wrote:
>> I strongly suspect, given the way the discussion is going, that we either
>> have to consider framing everything - and that's a huge break from XMPP -
>> or else we need an escape mechanism that works. Or, of course, we decide
>> to give up and frame using XML as now, and use base64 to cope.
> Personally I think it would be better to do as someone already suggested
> and have a separate connection for framed blobs that you maintain or
> establish when needed to send those, sort of like XEP-0065, or why not just
> use XEP-0065 itself??, and if the server you are using doesn't have a
> XEP-0065 proxy then you can safely assume that the server administrators
> don't want you sending lots of data through their server infrastructure.

You do not want to use 65 too much. If I skip the fact it is going to
get deprecated by jingle, probably, it is really heavy for small blobs,
like an icon or a funny image in a message. (Of course, it is the right
way for 1GB file you want to send).

--
Einstein argued that there must be simplified explanations of nature, because
God is not capricious or arbitrary.  No such faith comforts the software

Michal 'vorner' Vaner