[Standards] Binary data over XMPP

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Mon Nov 5 18:41:01 UTC 2007

> You do not want to use 65 too much. If I skip the fact it is going to
> get deprecated by jingle, probably, it is really heavy for small blobs,
> like an icon or a funny image in a message. (Of course, it is the right
> way for 1GB file you want to send).

Jingle doesnt depreciate XEP-0065 as far as I am aware (just
XEP-0095/96) given that Peter was working on writing a spec so you can
use XEP-0065 proxys with Jingle. Also if all you are using it for is
small things like icons or little images then I fail to see what real
benefits this has over just using IBB given the complexity it will take
to implement framing in XMPP, if they are small the overall overhead is
neglidgeable compared so the effort we would all need to go though to
implement framing.