[Standards] Binary data over XMPP

Niklas Höglund nhoglund at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 14:54:13 UTC 2007

Michal 'vorner' Vaner wrote:
> But a different question - is binary XML able to transfer binary data?
> And is it possible to map normal XML <-> binary XML one to one? If so,
> we could have a stream feature "use binary XML instead and transfer blob
> elements not-base64-encoded" or something like that. If the server
> needed to push it to a non-binary stream, it would have to base64 it (or
> something like that).
>
> Does it make sense? (Just an crazy idea, I do not know, if it could be
> of any use).

EXI seems to encode binary data as a length-prefixed blob, and I think
all EXI files can be converted to normal XML, so that may work nicely.

The downside of not doing framing or a separate connection is that a
large image in a chat message will stall all subsequent messages until
it is done. And how should a file transfer be handled if NAT boxes or
firewalls prevent Jingle connections?

Wouldn't it be a pragmatic solution to negotiate a framing protocol like
BEEP (or maybe simpler) when opening the connection, or fall back to
base 64 if one of the parties doesn't support that?

--
Niklas