[Standards] OpenSocial

Pedro Melo melo at simplicidade.org
Tue Nov 6 21:54:53 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Nov 6, 2007, at 9:34 PM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> Nicolas Vérité wrote:
>> I think you have all heard about the OpenSocial buzz...
>>
>> Do some of you consider making XMPP compatible/interoperable
>> with this API? Is it useful/necessary/worth?
>
> I chatted with Jeremie Miller about that yesterday. He suggested it
> might be interesting to support an OpenSocial container in a Jabber
> client. Since they don't have a published API that would involve
> embedding a web view (JavaScript+HTML) and injecting some DOM info.

We are playing with this at work...

Our chat windows are Webkit views, and we can easly create a XMPP dom
object that gives access to the roster and other information of the
client.

Its also interesting because we can give JS+XMPP applets running
inside the chat window a channel between several buddies (using a
private chatroom in our first implementation, but Pubsub is in the
roadmap) for events.

We are calling these XMPP+JS+HTML apps running inside the client
Xiclets... The final idea would be to spec a standard file format
(probably a zip file with a xml-based manifest) that could be easy
way to distribute the apps.

Best regards,
--
Pedro Melo