[Standards] Binary data over XMPP

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Nov 7 09:49:20 UTC 2007

Kevin Smith wrote:
> On 7 Nov 2007, at 09:27, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> 2. Attach a larger color sketch -- a file, the image for which a
>> thumbnail is a representation, or whatever (50k to 1M?). I think we use
>> HTTP-PUT (perhaps via WebDAV) and jabber:x:oob, with IBB as a fallback.
>> 3. Send a huge color canvas -- a music file, a podcast, a video, or
>> whatever (1M+?). I don't know what we use for this.
>
> The Jabber Disk method seems to work rather well for these scenarios...

Yes it does:

http://dev.jabbim.cz/jdisk

I would be perfectly happy to standardize on that approach for "larger"
blobs (64k+ or whatever), with IBB as a fallback.

For "smaller" blobs (I think of this as less than 64k since that's the
upper stanza size limit on the jabber.org service, but it might even be
smaller) it seems just fine to include the blob "inline" via some method
yet to be worked out. Adam Nemeth was working on something like this for
emoticons.

It's funny, I was chatting with Jeremie Miller the other day (he's not
on this list AFAIK) and he said "If I had known that someday people
would choose their IM technology based on emoticons, I would have
designed a simple binary-inclusion technology into Jabber from the
beginning." So now we have the chance to remedy the oversight. But
please let's keep it simple, shall we? This is for small stuff like
emoticons and thumbnails.

https://stpeter.im/