[Standards] Binary data over XMPP

Tomasz Sterna tomek at xiaoka.com
Wed Nov 7 10:00:45 UTC 2007

Dnia 07-11-2007, Śr o godzinie 02:27 -0700, Peter Saint-Andre pisze:
> 2. Attach a larger color sketch -- a file, the image for which a
> thumbnail is a representation, or whatever (50k to 1M?). I think we
> use
> HTTP-PUT (perhaps via WebDAV) and jabber:x:oob, with IBB as a
> fallback.

The OOB approach does not work in cases, where XMPP is the only window
to the world - either as a BOSH, SSL tunnel to a server listening on 443
(https) port, firewall rule allowing traffic to 5222 port...

I know, this usage is very common, and XMPP is known to be "the way" to
get a running IM in networks, where Internet == HTTP.

And the decision what is to large for the XMPP server to put through
should be a deployment decision - some servers administrators do not
like 10kB transfers and some are just fine with 100MB transfers.

--
  /\_./o__ Tomasz Sterna
 (/^/(_^^'  Xiaoka.com
._.(_.)_  XMPP: smoku at xiaoka.com