[Standards] Binary data over XMPP

Michal 'vorner' Vaner vorner at ucw.cz
Wed Nov 7 15:02:57 UTC 2007

Hello

On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 12:56:31PM +0000, Dave Cridland wrote:
> Yes, base64 is acceptable here, although bear in mind that over a
> charged-by-transfer medium - such as many mobile phone tariffs - that 100k
> image is transferred as 133k, and 33k that you didn't really need to
> transfer sounds like an additional cost we could drop if we had the
> technology to do so. It's not a driver for it, though, I agree.

Can't compression solve this? Does anyone know, how the base64 encoded
data grow/shrink, if they are put trough zlib? Would be nice to know,
how far it is worth going with the blob transfers & modifications to
protocol.

--
Wait few minutes before opening this email. The temperature difference
could lead to vapour condensation.

Michal 'vorner' Vaner