[Standards] Binary data over XMPP

Michal 'vorner' Vaner vorner at ucw.cz
Wed Nov 7 18:00:34 UTC 2007

Hello

On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 04:11:21PM +0000, Dave Cridland wrote:
> On Wed Nov  7 15:02:57 2007, Michal 'vorner' Vaner wrote:
>> Can't compression solve this? Does anyone know, how the base64 encoded
>> data grow/shrink, if they are put trough zlib? Would be nice to know,
>> how far it is worth going with the blob transfers & modifications to
>> protocol.
>
> I've been accused - on this list - of treating compression as a panacea.
> But it's not a substitute for efficiency. Base64 encoding is recovered to a
> degree by a good minimal redundancy algorithm, but it tends to shield
> patterns from a dictionary algorithm. DEFLATE uses a Lempel-Ziv dictionary
> algorithm first, then Huffman, a minimal redundancy algorithm.

Sure it is not optimal. I was just wondering, how far we want to go in
solving it - how bug the problem is. I still think redefining XMMP from
the ground because of this is not the right way.

--
The problem with graduate students, in general, is that they have
to sleep every few days.

Michal 'vorner' Vaner