[Standards] XEP-0115: version 1.5 revisited

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Nov 8 23:12:09 UTC 2007

Olivier Goffart wrote:
> Le jeudi 8 novembre 2007, Peter Saint-Andre a écrit :
>
>> 5. Objections to the Council change in version 1.4 specifying that the
>> value of the 'node' attribute should be "ProductURL#SoftwareVersion".
>
> I think we should not recommend to add the version number in the node at all,
> specially if the version may change while the disco#info does not.

Why not? It's not clear to me what the problem is.

> I even think we should specify a fixed value for the node attribute.
> such as  node="jabber.org/caps-x"
> So client that support the 1.3 version of the XEP still works.

In 1.3 the nodes were things like:

http://exodus.jabberstudio.org/caps
http://psi-im.org/caps

So essentially it was a special URL at the website of the client project
or company.

How exactly do 1.3 clients break if in 1.4+ the nodes are things like:

http://code.google.com/p/exodus/#0.9.1
http://psi-im.org/#0.11

Again it's a special URL at the software website. The only potential
problem is the inclusion of the '#' character, but we can change it (as
we did before) to be ';' instead of '#'. In fact I think we should do
that for backward compatibility.

Hardcoding the node so that it is the same for all clients seems like a
bad idea.

> I consider that we recommend to use the version number in the node since
> examples show it.

Correct. That's what the Council decided before we published 1.4

https://stpeter.im/