[Standards] XEP-0115: version 1.5 revisited

Joe Hildebrand hildjj at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 23:18:33 UTC 2007

On Nov 8, 2007, at 4:12 PM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> How exactly do 1.3 clients break if in 1.4+ the nodes are things like:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/exodus/#0.9.1
> http://psi-im.org/#0.11
>
> Again it's a special URL at the software website. The only potential
> problem is the inclusion of the '#' character, but we can change it
> (as
> we did before) to be ';' instead of '#'. In fact I think we should do
> that for backward compatibility.

As I think about this a little more, it's annoying that the URI
changes with each version.  1.3 clients that are using the URI to (for
example) select an icon based on the client software would have to be
updated every time the sending software has a new version, since they
treat the URI as a more-or-less opaque identifier.

If we think the version number is still interesting, perhaps we should
just define a new attribute that 1.4+ clients could look at if they
want it.

--
Joe Hildebrand