[Standards] XEP-0115: version 1.5 revisited

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Nov 8 23:24:41 UTC 2007

Joe Hildebrand wrote:

> On Nov 8, 2007, at 4:12 PM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>
>> How exactly do 1.3 clients break if in 1.4+ the nodes are things like:
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/exodus/#0.9.1
>> http://psi-im.org/#0.11
>>
>> Again it's a special URL at the software website. The only potential
>> problem is the inclusion of the '#' character, but we can change it (as
>> we did before) to be ';' instead of '#'. In fact I think we should do
>> that for backward compatibility.
>

> As I think about this a little more, it's annoying that the URI changes
> with each version.  1.3 clients that are using the URI to (for example)
> select an icon based on the client software would have to be updated
> every time the sending software has a new version, since they treat the
> URI as a more-or-less opaque identifier.
>
> If we think the version number is still interesting, perhaps we should
> just define a new attribute that 1.4+ clients could look at if they want
> it.

You mean like this:

***

Or it could be split out as a separate attribute.

   <c xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/caps'
      node='http://exodus.jabberstudio.org/'
      ver='8RovUdtOmiAjzj+xI7SK5BCw3A8='
      v='0.9.1'/>

Where the v attribute SHOULD be included.

***

Quote from:

http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2007-August/016670.html

Yes it seems a bit funny to have a 'v' attribute:

http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2007-August/016680.html

But we're keeping 'ver' for backward-compatibility so it seems OK:

http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2007-August/016681.html

Deja vu all over again. :)

https://stpeter.im/