[Standards] XEP-0115: version 1.5 revisited

Joe Hildebrand hildjj at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 23:37:07 UTC 2007

On Nov 8, 2007, at 4:24 PM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> Yes it seems a bit funny to have a 'v' attribute:
>
> http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2007-August/016680.html

As usual, Rachel is the voice of reason.  I don't mind her proposal;
however, I still don't think the algorithm needs to be extensible.  If
we pick one and stick to it:

<c xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/caps'
    node='http://exodus.jabberstudio.org/'
    ver='0.9.1'
    hash='8RovUdtOmiAjzj+xI7SK5BCw3A8='/>
1.3 clients will disco to node http://exodus.jabberstudio.org/#0.9.1.
1.5 clients will disco to node 8RovUdtOmiAjzj+xI7SK5BCw3A8=.  Yes, I
still think the queries need a node.  My new use case for that is that
I might want to send different folks different caps, or different caps
when I join a room or something.

This has the downside of every implementation for the near future
having to implement listening for two different nodes, which could be
avoided if the has was in ver and the version was in v.

--
Joe Hildebrand