[Standards] XEP-0115: version 1.5 revisited

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Thu Nov 8 23:47:54 UTC 2007

On Thursday 08 November 2007 3:18 pm, Joe Hildebrand wrote:
> On Nov 8, 2007, at 4:12 PM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> > How exactly do 1.3 clients break if in 1.4+ the nodes are things like:
> >
> > http://code.google.com/p/exodus/#0.9.1
> > http://psi-im.org/#0.11
> >
> > Again it's a special URL at the software website. The only potential
> > problem is the inclusion of the '#' character, but we can change it
> > (as
> > we did before) to be ';' instead of '#'. In fact I think we should do
> > that for backward compatibility.
>
> As I think about this a little more, it's annoying that the URI
> changes with each version.  1.3 clients that are using the URI to (for
> example) select an icon based on the client software would have to be
> updated every time the sending software has a new version, since they
> treat the URI as a more-or-less opaque identifier.
>
> If we think the version number is still interesting, perhaps we should
> just define a new attribute that 1.4+ clients could look at if they
> want it.

A version is only interesting if you know the software that it goes with.
Unfortunately all we have is a URI, which means for any sane display I need a
table of URI->"software name" mappings, and thus I can only display versions
for software I know about.  That seems limiting.

Maybe in addition to Peter's proposed 'v' attribute, we could have an 'n'
attribute for the name.  This should allow for generic display.

If including the name is considered too much of an overload on the caps
protocol, then I'd suggest dropping the version (no 'v', no '#' in the URI).
I just don't think the version is that useful otherwise.

-Justin