[Standards] XEP-0115: version 1.5 revisited

Joe Hildebrand hildjj at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 00:01:55 UTC 2007

On Nov 8, 2007, at 4:49 PM, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> I think they should not use that XEP for that.

Too late.

> There is jabber:iq:version for that.

I hope not.  That was the whole reason we wrote this XEP in the first
place!

> And if we want to avoid sending a jabber:iq:version to each, we
> should come
> with a replacement that goes in the presence stanza (and would also
> benefit
> from server optimisations)

See section 7 of XEP 115.

> However, from an user perspective... what is the interest of showing
> different
> icon per client.

Imagine that it's a presence-only device, like a phone, for example.

> Remember that old client using version 1.3 of the xep use node#ver
> as key in
> their cache.  So if two different clients (or different versions)
> share the
> same disco#info, they will not be able to share the cache entry,
> even if the
> hash is the same.  (one may argue this is negligible, ok, but this
> is easy to
> avoid anyway)

That's why I relented on which node new clients send to.  They can
send to node=hash, rather than node=node#hash, so that caching can be
cross-client.

--
Joe Hildebrand