[Standards] XEP-0115: version 1.5 revisited

Rachel Blackman rcb at ceruleanstudios.com
Fri Nov 9 01:04:45 UTC 2007

>> However, from an user perspective... what is the interest of
>> showing different
>> icon per client.
>
> Imagine that it's a presence-only device, like a phone, for example.

Arguably, this should be a defined value used in the identity element
-- <identity category='client' type='presence' name='PTT'/> or
whatever -- and handled accordingly.  (And yes, I think a presence-
only device should respond to disco queries, even if some specialized
server is responding on the device's behalf.)  You can do the same
thing with type='web' and type='pc' and so on.

I like displaying the client/name version in contact tooltips as much
as the next person, but only because users like that info.  If they
didn't, there wouldn't be options in BitTorrent clients to see what
client all your connected peers use, and my temporary removal of those
client tooltips from an early Astra build would not have been met with
a hail of bug-report submissions demanding the feature back.

But using that information for anything more than display to end-users
is a mistake; the information is there not because it is functionally
meaningful, but because end-users want it.  /Why/ end-users want it is
not particularly relevant to the point. :)