[Standards] Binary data over XMPP

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Fri Nov 9 20:49:50 UTC 2007

Rachel Blackman wrote:

> I think we've lost sight of whatever the original problem we were trying
> to solve was (inline images?  Size of binary blobs to mobiles?) and have
> become caught up in hypothetical solutions which may no longer be
> directly connected to the issue.  :)

Right!

So let's bite the bullet and say that In-Band Bytestreams is perfectly
fine for small bits of data (and maybe even larger blobs of data). If we
need something that's good for including really tiny bits of data in a
stanza (e.g., via data: URL) then let's define that too so that we can
do small incline icons or rasterized images for whiteboards or whatever
all else people want to build. All this hypothetical stuff is well and
good but it's a tangent.

https://stpeter.im/