[Standards] s2s blocking of abusive users

Tomasz Sterna tomek at xiaoka.com
Fri Nov 9 22:48:19 UTC 2007

Dnia 09-11-2007, Pt o godzinie 13:42 -0700, Peter Saint-Andre pisze:
> Hmm. By "throttled me" do you mean "shut down s2s entirely" or "rate
> limited s2s"?

I meant rate limiting (simply stopping reading is enough - TCP will
handle the rest :).

But as you mention, dropping the stream with clear abuse-related error
could work too. The abuser server will probably log the error and
administrator could see it.

> I agree that proactive is better. So are you suggesting
> that how the jabber.org admins handled this last time was OK and that
> we don't need better mechanisms for reporting abuse?

When you couldn't reach the admin of the abusing server, it was the
right thing to do.

> One thing that would help is better communication among the admins who
> run XMPP IM services.

Shouldn't XEP-0157 help with that?
We should take some serious actions to promote and encourage its
adoption.

> Like a real community of admins who have to deal
> with the day-to-day issues [...]

Does SMTP have this community of admins?
I think we're quickly reaching the adoption point, when we just cannot
know "all the guys" and learn how to live and deal with it.

--
  /\_./o__ Tomasz Sterna
 (/^/(_^^'  Xiaoka.com
._.(_.)_  XMPP: smoku at xiaoka.com