[Standards] s2s blocking of abusive users

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Fri Nov 9 22:58:48 UTC 2007

Tomasz Sterna wrote:
> Dnia 09-11-2007, Pt o godzinie 13:42 -0700, Peter Saint-Andre pisze:
>> Hmm. By "throttled me" do you mean "shut down s2s entirely" or "rate
>> limited s2s"?
>
> I meant rate limiting (simply stopping reading is enough - TCP will
> handle the rest :).

Yes that is the most radical form of rate limiting. :)

> But as you mention, dropping the stream with clear abuse-related error
> could work too. The abuser server will probably log the error and
> administrator could see it.

Right. I'll work on a little XEP for that. And maybe also I'll work to
generalize XEP-0161 a bit more (not just spam, but any kind of abuse).

>> I agree that proactive is better. So are you suggesting
>> that how the jabber.org admins handled this last time was OK and that
>> we don't need better mechanisms for reporting abuse?
>
> When you couldn't reach the admin of the abusing server, it was the
> right thing to do.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. :) In fact I was not involved in the
decision because I was on vacation that week, but we have several admins
for the jabber.org service and they have been helping a lot lately!

>> One thing that would help is better communication among the admins who
>> run XMPP IM services.
>
> Shouldn't XEP-0157 help with that?
> We should take some serious actions to promote and encourage its
> adoption.

Yes, I think so.

>> Like a real community of admins who have to deal
>> with the day-to-day issues [...]
>
> Does SMTP have this community of admins?

Not that I know of.

> I think we're quickly reaching the adoption point, when we just cannot
> know "all the guys" and learn how to live and deal with it.

I agree. I'm working on some ideas here -- like a special forum or
working group (not necessarily part of the XSF) that will work on best
practices for deployment and operationalization of XMPP services,
especially for secure federation. Stay tuned for details.

https://stpeter.im/