[Standards] s2s blocking of abusive users

Tomasz Sterna tomek at xiaoka.com
Fri Nov 9 23:06:45 UTC 2007

Dnia 09-11-2007, Pt o godzinie 15:58 -0700, Peter Saint-Andre pisze:
> > I meant rate limiting (simply stopping reading is enough - TCP will
> > handle the rest :).
>
> Yes that is the most radical form of rate limiting. :)

Oh. I realized that I'm being to sparse.

I meant, "stopping reading for a while".
If you allow 10kb per second, you just read no more than 10kb in a
second and pause. Then after one second read another no more than 10kb.

The TCP buffering, timeouts and retransmission will handle the rest,
thus you will effectively enforce the peer to transmit no faster than
10kbps.

--
  /\_./o__ Tomasz Sterna
 (/^/(_^^'  Xiaoka.com