[Standards] Binary data over XMPP

Fabio Forno fabio.forno at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 23:09:12 UTC 2007

On Nov 8, 2007 8:11 PM, Justin Karneges
<justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com> wrote:

> When you connect again, you specify the ack session id of the disconnected
> connection, so that the server knows which session you are trying to recover.

But if the ids are independently chosen by the clients there may be
the risk of colliding acks, so how can the server chose in the correct
way?

> According to the XEP, you then would do resource binding.  At the very least,
> the XEP should be updated to state that the client must bind to the same
> resource as before, and if it doesn't then the server must assert the correct
> resource in the bind iq reply.  However, I'm tempted to say that when you
> resume an ack session, the resource binding step should just be skipped.
> After all, both parties already know what the resource is supposed to be.

I think the resource binding MUST be skipped and the resource
maintained, usually a session object in servers is associated to a
given resource that cannot be changed during its life. Moreover the
other clients will see a presence of type unvailable from the former
resource, and a new presence from the new one. I don't think that this
is the behavior we want.

--
Fabio Forno, PhD
Istituto Superiore Mario Boella