[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Data Element

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Mon Nov 12 21:39:22 UTC 2007

Andreas Monitzer wrote:
> On Nov 10, 2007, at 00:38, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

>> See, that was easy, wasn't it? ;-)
>
> I can see three issues here:
> 1. Your extension doesn't have any namespace

Right, I wrote it up too fast, the example is missing the namespace
declaration.

> and doesn't use the x-element.

The element name doesn't matter. The <x/> name was just an early
convention among the Jabber developers in 1999 or so.

> 2. URLs are limited to 1024 bytes IIRC, so your 10k limit can not be
> reached.

There is no limit on URIs:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3986.txt

However, in the old days some clients and servers didn't handle long
URIs (and some may still not).

> If you go into the trouble of inventing a new element for it,
> why not put the base64-data between the tags?
>
> <message from='ladymacbeth at shakespeare.lit/castle'
> to='macbeth at chat.shakespeare.lit' type='groupchat'>
>     <data type='image/png;base64' alt="A
> spot.">iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAAAoAAAAKCAYAAACNMs+9AAAABGdBTUEAALGP
> C/xhBQAAAAlwSFlzAAALEwAACxMBAJqcGAAAAAd0SU1FB9YGARc5KB0XV+IA
> AAAddEVYdENvbW1lbnQAQ3JlYXRlZCB3aXRoIFRoZSBHSU1Q72QlbgAAAF1J
> REFUGNO9zL0NglAAxPEfdLTs4BZM4DIO4C7OwQg2JoQ9LE1exdlYvBBeZ7jq
> ch9//q1uH4TLzw4d6+ErXMMcXuHWxId3KOETnnXXV6MJpcq2MLaI97CER3N0
> vr4MkhoXe0rZigAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==</data>
> </message>

Well that's not a data: URL, and I figured that some software would
already have support for data: URLs.

> 3. Your data tag in the example starts with a ' but ends with a ". (ok,
> that's nitpicking)

See above on writing it up too fast.

https://stpeter.im/