[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Data Element

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Mon Nov 12 22:05:28 UTC 2007

Tomasz Sterna wrote:
> Dnia 09-11-2007, Pt o godzinie 16:55 -0700, Peter Saint-Andre pisze:
>> And there's always
>> http://wiki.jabber.org/index.php/XHTML_Inband_Images
>> too (I haven't looked at that in a while, but we might want a way to
>> refer to the <data/> element from within the same stanza via a sid of
>> some kind).
>
> Well... This was the first idea we had when designing Inband Images
> (thus the name), that we just attach BASE64 image to the <message/> and
> refer it from xhtml part.
>
> But it would prevent the reuse of already got images, and sender would
> waste bandwidth by sending the same smiley all over again.

Right. But we could get that re-use with cid: URLs (or something
similar). The Content-ID header (and therefore the cid: URL) must be
globally unique. So if I once sent you the emoticon (or I sent you my
favorite emoticon library via file transfer last week) I can refer to an
icon and you don't need to retrieve it every time.

/me ponders

https://stpeter.im/