[Standards] s2s blocking of abusive users

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Mon Nov 12 23:04:04 UTC 2007

Alexander Gnauck wrote:
> Tomasz Sterna schrieb:
>> Oh. I realized that I'm being to sparse.
>>
>> I meant, "stopping reading for a while".
>> If you allow 10kb per second, you just read no more than 10kb in a
>> second and pause. Then after one second read another no more than 10kb.
>>
>> The TCP buffering, timeouts and retransmission will handle the rest,
>> thus you will effectively enforce the peer to transmit no faster than
>> 10kbps.
>
> The problem we had was that many accounts on one federated server where
> sending messages to one account on the jabber.org server. I assume they
> used multiple accounts to overcome the karma settings. So the per user
> karma does not help here.

Right. So I think an abuse-report format would be helpful to the sending
domain. Naturally if the abuse becomes really bad you need to terminate
the s2s link, but before that the receiving domain might be able to
provide some helpful reporting on the problem (and maybe enable the
sending domain to deal with the problem more gracefully).

https://stpeter.im/