[Standards] Proposed extension: seeing the exact text the other user is typing

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Tue Nov 13 14:37:28 UTC 2007

Cezary Kaliszyk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to inquire about an extension that would allow the other
> users to see the real text that the other user is typing.
>
> This kind of functionality was once offered by the unix 'talk'
> program, allowing the other user to see what one is typing, but as
> far as I can tell the jabber protocol is not able to do this.
>
> Does any of the extensions do this or is anyone working on this thing?

We've had discussions about this before, and more recently I know of one
client author who has worked on such an extension as a special project.
Perhaps he will post to the list about how he implemented this kind of
character-by-character communication (note: it's probably verbose and we
probably would not recommend it for normal usage).

/psa