[Standards] Proposed extension: seeing the exact text the other user is typing

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Tue Nov 13 15:10:00 UTC 2007

On 13 Nov 2007, at 14:37, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Cezary Kaliszyk wrote:
>> I would like to inquire about an extension that would allow the other
>> users to see the real text that the other user is typing.
>> Does any of the extensions do this or is anyone working on this
>> thing?
>
> We've had discussions about this before, and more recently I know of
> one
> client author who has worked on such an extension as a special
> project.

That would be me, wouldn't it? :)

I did this recently for someone to use in a lab context to study how
people type, and just did the really stupid thing of transmitting the
full contents of the input buffer every X milliseconds (as long as
they'd changed). It does the job though.

> Perhaps he will post to the list about how he implemented this kind of
> character-by-character communication (note: it's probably verbose
> and we
> probably would not recommend it for normal usage).

Yes, I think that's a fair assessment :)

/K