[Standards] Proposed extension: seeing the exact text the other user is typing

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Wed Nov 14 15:20:30 UTC 2007

Le mardi 13 novembre 2007, Kevin Smith a écrit :
> On 13 Nov 2007, at 14:37, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> > Cezary Kaliszyk wrote:
> >> I would like to inquire about an extension that would allow the other
> >> users to see the real text that the other user is typing.
> >> Does any of the extensions do this or is anyone working on this
> >> thing?
> >
> > We've had discussions about this before, and more recently I know of
> > one
> > client author who has worked on such an extension as a special
> > project.
>
> That would be me, wouldn't it? :)
>
> I did this recently for someone to use in a lab context to study how
> people type, and just did the really stupid thing of transmitting the
> full contents of the input buffer every X milliseconds (as long as
> they'd changed). It does the job though.

I think this is a good approach.
I think we send the text every few seconds.
That would probably not be sufficient to study how people talk, but sufficient
for fun user experience. (and the receiving client could make appears new
chars one by one, slowly)
This would work fine with normal instant messaging messages (one or two
sentences),  but would consume lot of brandwidth very big messages.