[Standards] Proposed extension: seeing the exact text the other user is typing

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Nov 15 15:05:13 UTC 2007

Dave Cridland wrote:
> On Wed Nov 14 15:20:30 2007, Olivier Goffart wrote:

>> I think this is a good approach. I think we send the text every few
>> seconds.  That would probably not be sufficient to study how people
>> talk, but sufficient for fun user experience. (and the receiving
>> client could make appears new chars one by one, slowly)
>> This would work fine with normal instant messaging messages (one or
>> two sentences),  but would consume lot of brandwidth very big messages.
>
> FWIW, I think using this stuff over link local, or possibly LAN, is one
> thing, but using it over the internet is entirely another.

Who are we to say what is appropriate over the Internet?

Look, you have a given swath of bandwidth. If you use it to send
char-by-char text, that may be fine depending on the context. Example:
you have set up a special text-only helpline and you need to know
exactly what text people type so that you know if the person typed "he
has a knife, I think he's going to kill me" instead of receiving a
XEP-0085 <composing/> indicator and then <gone/>.

I agree that char-by-char text is not generally a good idea (or even
desirable to the vast majority of users), but in certain situations it
might be very useful indeed.

https://stpeter.im/