[Standards] Nodeprep question

Mickaël Rémond mickael.remond at process-one.net
Wed Nov 21 10:38:33 UTC 2007

Hello,

Le 19 nov. 07 à 23:20, Tomasz Sterna a écrit :

> Dnia 19-11-2007, Pn o godzinie 22:27 +0100, Mickaël Rémond pisze:
>> Nodeprep adds forbidden characters to usual stringprep tables. Among
>> those characters we find "/" (47).
>
> IIUC the only reason that slash '/' character is forbidden in a node
> part is, that it is a resource delimiter.
> So encountering '/' in the JID means that the resource has just
> started.

Yes, sure I understand the purpose of the limitation.

>> Some libraries extend it to caracters such as c/o (8453). The
>> rational
>> behind that is that it contains a fraction.
>
> I think they do wrong.

I finally found the document that can be really usefull to know which
characters should be forbidden after normalization.
For the record, you can check:
http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/NormalizationTest.txt

It shows that KC normalization turns c/o character (8453 in decimal,
2105 in hexa) in 0063 002F 006F
It shows that it contains 002F (47 in decimal) which is a forbidden
character.

This is the resource I was looking for on Unicode normalization for as
it explains precisely implied forbidden characters due to normalization.

--
Mickaël Rémond
  http://www.process-one.net/