[Standards] XEP-0115: version 1.5 revisited

Joe Hildebrand hildjj at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 17:13:21 UTC 2007

On Nov 20, 2007, at 12:38 PM, Rachel Blackman wrote:

> I.e., I think this method is kind of a mess, when just adding 'hash'
> in separately would've solved the backwards compatibility issue
> nicely.  However, that ship has probably sailed, so even just
> including 'v' will solve the 'users will ask for this' concern I had
> about displaying version strings. :)

And then new clients would need to respond to both new-style queries
and old-style queries, as well as continuing to send ext for backward-
compatibility.

I agree that it's unfortunate that old clients will show the hash as
the version number.  Like stpeter said, though, I'm not convinced that
the version number has general-purpose utility.

--
Joe Hildebrand