[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0166 (Jingle)

Lauri Kaila lauri.kaila at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 11:13:16 UTC 2007

Hi all

There's one point in the protocol I'm not very fond of: returning
application-level errors (especially unsupported-content) with iq
response to session-initiate. Because if one implements XEP-0166 and
XEP-0167 (and video, file transfer, whiteboard, etc) as a separate
logical modules, it means that the generic Jingle code must consult
the upper-level module before it can send IQ response. The generic
Jingle code must have a separate state for a not-acked session, instad
of making the transaction "atomic" by sending ack immediately.

The alternative would be to ack session-initiate always, and have a
unsupported-content info carried with session-terminate. I believe
that would be easier to implement, although the protocol flow may not
seem optimal.

Now I had my say. If you don't find this issue serious enough (or even
an issue) - fine, I'm quite happy with the current spec.

-lauri