[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0166 (Jingle)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Nov 29 23:25:04 UTC 2007

Lauri Kaila wrote:
> 2007/11/29, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im>:
>> However, we could retain the following flow but require the gateway to
>> send 100 and 180, then send 486 when it receives the <busy/> error:
>>
>> session-initiate ->
>>                     <- IQ-error <busy/>
>>
>> (That flow has a lot fewer stanzas!)
>>
>> I suppose the question is: what does busy really mean? Does the
>> recipient's client know immediately that the user or device cannot
>> accept the call? If so, the second flow is fine. If not, then we should
>> retain the session-info <busy/> from the first flow.
>
> I believe the busy code is used in both scenarios. But ringing doesn't
> make sense if the user interaction isn't needed.

So do you think we should keep the <busy/> informational message?
Perhaps we need two kinds of busy, one is the error code and the other
is the session-info message. But see below.

>> Naturally a Jingle<->SIP gateway will need to worry about this kind of
>> thing, but I don't know how much we should try to mimic the SIP flows in
>> Jingle itself when used by native XMPP entities.
>
> I wasn't worried about SIP interoperability in the first place... I
> don't even like SIP. I just think it would be nice to have
> <unsupported-content/> and <busy/> as a session-terminate reason
> instead of iq error. IMHO it would make roles between 0166 and 0167
> slightly more clear.

Yes, that was the idea from your original message. So it seems that you
suggest this:

<iq from='juliet at capulet.lit/balcony'
    id='term1'
    to='romeo at montague.lit/orchard'
    type='set'>
  <jingle xmlns='http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0166.html#ns'
          action='session-terminate'
          initiator='romeo at montague.lit/orchard'
==>       reasoncode='busy'
          sid='a73sjjvkla37jfea'/>
</iq>

<iq from='juliet at capulet.lit/balcony'
    id='term1'
    to='romeo at montague.lit/orchard'
    type='set'>
  <jingle xmlns='http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0166.html#ns'
          action='session-terminate'
          initiator='romeo at montague.lit/orchard'
==>       reasoncode='unsupported-content'
          sid='a73sjjvkla37jfea'/>
</iq>

Then the gateway needs to look for the reasoncode and map that to SIP
syntax.

If we add busy and unsupported-content then the reasoncodes would be as
follows (not all these are related to session-terminate!):

busy (maps to SIP 486)
connectivity-error
general-error
media-error
no-error (like SIP 183?)
unsupported-content (maps to SIP 415)

We might also want to add "timeout" (like SIP 408).

What do you think?

https://stpeter.im/