[Standards] rfc3921bis: self-presence

Curtis King cking at mumbo.ca
Sat Sep 1 04:43:37 UTC 2007

On Aug 29, 2007, at 6:20 PM, Mridul Muralidharan wrote:

> 3921.Section 5.1.1 - "In addition, the user's server MUST broadcast
> initial presence from the user's new available resource to any of
> the user's existing available resources (if any)."
> I think this is pretty clear in stating that presence is to be sent
> to existing resources 'if any' (and not the 'new available resource').

It's not clear because what does "existing available resources" mean?
You can read it either way because the new available resource is a
existing available resource ;-) It needs to-be clarified which
3921bis does. These type of language issues happen with any
successful RFC and is why there have been bis releases of SMTP, IMAP,
POP3, etc...... Implementers will just sort out any fallout from the
changes or the product will disappear because users will choose the
working product ;-) I have found after a bis release interoperability
does improve.

ck