[Standards] e2e compression

Jonathan Chayce Dickinson chayce.za at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 18:16:15 UTC 2007

Has anyone thought of using end-to-end compression? Look at the
following example:

john-->myserver.org-->hisserver.org-->fred

Now if we look at what happens when a message is sent:

john-->compress-->myserver.org-->decompress-->interpret-->
compress-->hisserver.org-->decompress-->interpret-->compress-->
fred-->decompress

As opposed to (with e2e compression):

john-->compress-->myserver.org-->interpret-->hisserver.org-->
interpret-->fred-->decompress

Obviously only the payload would be compressed, the stanza would
need to stay intact. Much simpler algorithms could then be used on the
servers that explicitly deal with compressing XML efficiently.

I know this has the potential to be a terrible idea...

Regards,
   Jonathan Dickinson

--
jonathan chayce dickinson