[Standards] MUC Spam and MUC invites

Jonathan Chayce Dickinson chayce.za at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 20:19:15 UTC 2007

Dave Cridland wrote:
> On Wed Sep  5 16:21:18 2007, Adam Nemeth wrote:
> *Snip*
>
> Open user registration is something else - you're effectively allowing
> someone to create a new identity there. (I don't think "CAPTCHA" is
> the way forward here either). I think that's the root cause, here.
Just look up PWNTCHA on Google. CAPTCHA isn't enough, alone, but it is
definitely a deterrent. Certificates are ultimately the definitive
answer, I think. They are free off start.com, but you need a real and
proper email address to get it. You can then also complain to start.com
and they will retract the certificate.

Or the whole sign-up process needs to become a lot more interactive, OOB
registration might be the answer.

--
jonathan chayce dickinson
ruby/c# developer