[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0186 (Invisible Command)

Mridul Muralidharan mridul at sun.com
Thu Sep 6 03:02:32 UTC 2007

XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:
> Version 0.6 of XEP-0186 (Invisible Command) has been released.
>
> Abstract: This document specifies an XMPP-compatible protocol for user invisibility.
>
> Changelog: Clarified that this specification is intended to supersede XEP-0018 and XEP-0126; added several additional examples. (psa)
>
> Diff: http://svn.xmpp.org:18080/browse/XMPP/trunk/extensions/xep-0186.xml?r1=489&r2=1204

We have so many specs for invisibility (and similar) feature - privacy
lists, block lists, the various invisiblity specs.

Isn't this spec, for example, just special casing presence-out:deny ?

"
<iq type='set' id='invisible'>
<query xmlns='jabber:iq:privacy'>
   <list name='invisible-all'>
     <item action='deny' order='1'>
       <presence-out/>
     </item>
   </list>
</query>
</iq>
"

Either we should have a proliferation of small specs which implement
subset's of functionality required, or have something like privacy list
which handles all cases (maybe something better designed if that is a
concern ?) - having both together means neither server, not client can
rely on support of these (unless they implement all).

- Mridul