[Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0186 (Invisible Command)

Mridul Muralidharan mridul at sun.com
Mon Sep 10 20:17:20 UTC 2007

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Mridul Muralidharan wrote:
>> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

>>> When the user chooses "invisible to all", does that overrride all the
>>> other rules already defined (e.g., don't allow any communications with
>>> UserX)? I think that in order to do this right, you'd need to modify the
>>> active rule to now include invisibility, not define a standalone rule
>>> for it.
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>
>> Just changes the active list entirely, not edit the current list - that
>> would be too cumbersome.
>
> Which is precisely my objection.
>
> My active list has a rule that blocks a spammer from communicating with
> me. I go invisible by changing the active list. Now the spammer's junk
> gets through.
>
> Doesn't that seem sub-optimal?
>
> Peter

You can always edit and come up with a custom list, and change what is
shown in the drop down menu (i guess) - but the off-the-shelf list does
invisible to all only.

It is common for users to toggle between invisible to all vs other
privacy lists - custom lists are usually pretty rare. And they can use
custom list editor.

That being said, it is easy for clients to manage order such that
different regions deal with different aspects (so not much change in
order value is required between edits).

Mridul