[Standards] IMML

Tomasz Sterna tomek at xiaoka.com
Mon Sep 10 20:16:01 UTC 2007

Dnia 10-09-2007, Pn o godzinie 10:46 +0200, Jonathan Chayce Dickinson
napisał(a):
> I just thought, we could do something along the lines of Microformats,
> e.g:
>
> Hello, <span rel="emoticon" title=":-)">:D</span>.
>
> Where 'rel' signifies that it is an emoticon and 'title' is the parent
> of the emoticon (the fall-back). Seems to work pretty well and I don't
> think it will break existing clients...

It was brought on a list but I will repeat it:
It WILL break existing client.

HTML-like way of thinking will not work here because message stanza is
not HTML.

Let me rewrite your example (skipping the attributes and adding newlines
and whitespace for readability):

<message>
       .
</message>

There is no element <span/> in the message/body schema, so unknown
sub-element 'span' will be ignored by the client (or the whole message,
by the more strict ones), leaving us with <body>Hello, .</body> CDATA.

--
Tomasz Sterna
Xiaoka.com  http://www.xiaoka.com/