[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Requirements for IM File Transfer

Matthew Wild mwild1+jig at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 23:50:50 UTC 2007

On 9/13/07, Tobias Markmann <tmarkmann at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Exactly. You can't expect an IM client to handle transfers of CD or DVD
> image sized files. For these large files protocols like BitTorrent have been
> developed and work really nice on doing that.

I found myself receiving a file over 200MB only yesterday, simply because it
was the easiest way to do it. Protocols like BitTorrent are more for
publishing files, than direct file transfer.

I don't see why it is *necessary* for the protocol to place a limit on file
size at all, barring technical (implementation?) restrictions.

Matthew.