[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Requirements for IM File Transfer

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Fri Sep 14 07:44:00 UTC 2007

Le vendredi 14 septembre 2007, Michal 'vorner' Vaner a écrit :
> Hello
>
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 04:39:46PM -0500, XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:
> > Title: Requirements for IM File Transfer
>
> With some more thinking, I have few more things that would be good to
> have:
>
> • Serverless mode (for link-local)
> • Doesn't go to server and back on LAN (If you have bad internet
> connection, but more computers on LAN).
> • Way of checking the transfer went well - some kind of hash
> • Sending whole directories (may be another XEP, that just advertises a
> directory with all its files and will auto-accept an transfer for each
> of the files)
> • I often hear people asking, if encrypted transfers are possible
>
> Furthermore, it should be easy to implement. (if we just all had IPv6,
> simple TCP connection would work)

I agree that P2P filetransfer should be used whenever possible.

A server should be used only if:
 - restrictive firewall or NAT make P2P impossible or difficult.
 - sending to a contact which is offline
 - willing to send the same file to multiple senders

One could imagine that each contact has a shared folder (in another XEP) where
all contacts could pick files from.