[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Requirements for IM File Transfer

Michal 'vorner' Vaner vorner at ucw.cz
Tue Sep 18 18:16:17 UTC 2007

Hello

On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 11:41:43AM -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> - company policy forbids p2p file transfer
> - server-side virus checking desired/required before download

Couldn't it be solved like this:

1) One of them has a public IP -> does an HTTP server, the onther one
gets/puts
2) HTTP proxy server somewhere in the middle (One puts, one gets, does
not get stored).

You can get antivirus checks by that, and it is http, so good firewalls
should let it trough as they recognize it.

However, if admins forbid file transfers, then they will do it anyway
somehow. I wouldn't fight them, if it makes the thing less usable in
the "normal" way.

--
The cost of living is going up, and the chance of living is going down.

Michal 'vorner' Vaner