[Standards] ACTIVE: XEP-0239 (Binary XMPP)

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 2 05:20:09 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 22:08 -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Remko Tronçon wrote:
> >> Abstract: This specification defines Binary XMPP, an obviously
> >> superior representation of the Extensible Messaging and Presence
> >> Protocol (XMPP).
> >
> > Shouldn't we be namespacing these elements?
>
> Aw, namespaces introduce unnecessary complexity. :)

We can make up that complexity by using two different namespaces (one
for "zero" and another for "one") and renaming the elements to "x".
Since developers have already written plenty of code to handle the
element name "x", they can reuse it to parse binary XML elements.