[Standards] XEP-136 and XEP-59 implementation comments

Alexander Tsvyashchenko lists at ndl.kiev.ua
Wed Apr 2 07:39:05 UTC 2008

Peter,

Quoting Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im>:

>>> I think it is counter-intuitive.
>>> Logic would hint that domain.com is exact match and @domain.com is a
>>> wild match.
>>> Similar with user at domain.com is exact match and user at domain.com/ is wild
>>> match.
>>
>> Yes, probably, but that would break current behavior for sure, while the
>> original approach seems to be less dangerous in this respect ... If
>> backward compatibility is not a problem, though, I personally would be
>> happy with either way of doing it.
>
> Well, hmm, breaking backward-compatibility is not good, eh?

Yes, but don't forget that my original proposal was the opposite variant ;-)
(which, hopefully, should not cause serious problems with backward
compatibility, but as Tomasz and you pointed out may be
counter-intuitive for someone)

I suppose that for XEP-136 backward compatibility is not a problem -
it's MUC where most likely it is.

... and we still have another option: attribute 'exactMatch', which is
certainly backward-compatible ...

Good luck!                                     Alexander