[Standards] Council on Stanza Repeaters without Multicast

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Apr 2 23:52:54 UTC 2008

On Thu Apr  3 00:47:08 2008, Dave Cridland wrote:
> OpenSSL has negotiated the DEFLATE compression codec defined in RFC
>  3749 since 0.9.8 came out - the documentation may be wrong, but it
>  always is with OpenSSL.

I should point out, though, that the situation *is* a lot worse over
on mobile devices, where the TLS implementation still don't have
DEFLATE support, in a place you'd think would benefit most.

Hence the existence of RFC 4978, and XEP-0138.

But, if for some reason your server runs with a TLS stack that fails
to support compression, then using XEP-0138 on S2S is a reasonable
fallback, and will lower - not raise - CPU cost, although in this
instance it will cause an increase in RTTs at connection set-up time.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at jabber.org
  - http://dave.cridland.net/