[Standards] Council on Stanza Repeaters without Multicast

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Thu Apr 3 10:56:04 UTC 2008

>> B) RTT delays
>>
>> The introduction of Stanza Repeaters gives us RTT delays whenever a
>> list needs changing. That just strikes me as worrying - I don't think
>> anyone has clear figures on how much delay would be introduced, but
>> I'm sure you'll agree that additional latency does not a performance
>> improvement make.
>
> That depends on how often those lists change.
And also when the changes to the list are made, i.e. if you add/remove
recipients from the repeater when associated events happen e.g. with
pubsub when someone subscribes or unsubscribes from the node rather than
doing that at the time you want to send traffic to the repeater there is
no delay, it then becomes no different from just sending the message
directly as far as setup delays are concerned.

Richard