[Standards] Meta-Contacts: implementation notes

Remko Tronçon remko at el-tramo.be
Thu Apr 3 11:32:42 UTC 2008

>  If I give too much relevance to the user nickname or other information in
> control of the contact, then I think we are opening up a lot of avenues of
> attack. Just showing the avatar is problem enough.

I agree, automatic naming of contacts is quite dangerous. Still, users
ask us for that feature quite regularly. I wonder what we could do for
them. Maybe some semi-automatic way of updating the nickname where the
user has to explicitly request a nickname update could work, although
I'm not sure if it's worth the extra menu item (if you can see the
nickname in 'more info', you could ).

But anyway, that's a separate issue. If we agree that it's bad
practice to hide the real roster name from the user, I guess
meta-contacts based on roster name is an easy enough solution.

cheers,
Remko