[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: IO DATA

Johannes Wagener johannes.wagener at med.uni-muenchen.de
Fri Apr 4 00:51:15 UTC 2008

Peter Saint-Andre schrieb:
> Johannes Wagener wrote:
>
>> Proposed XMPP Extension: IO DATA
>>
>> Hello,
>> here I submit a proposal for a new XEP called "IO DATA".
>>
>> The XEP is already located in the XEP inbox directory:
>>
>> However, the initial version is erroneously missing some namespaces in
>> the examples, therefore we append the current fixed version as PDF to
>> the mail directly to the standards mailing list.
>>

> Feel free to send updated versions to me and I'll update that URL.

Yes, I will do so this weekend. I will have fixed the issues I got
pointed to within the discussion...

>> Abstract: This specification defines an XMPP protocol extension for
>> handling the input to and output from a remote entity.
>>
>> Further explanation comes here:
>> We want to do dynamic Web Services over XMPP. For certain reasons we
>> explain in the XEP we think neither SOAP over XMPP nor Jabber-RPC is the
>> way to go. We think future asynchronous Web Services can be best
>> implemented with the session based Ad-Hoc Commands XEP-0050.
>>
>> Thus, and as already suggested in Ad-Hoc Commands we describe an
>> alternative data container IO DATA that can transport more complex data
>> than Data Forms. The specification describes a way to discover the
>> Schemata of the IO DATA input and output at runtime, too. Thus a client
>> implementation can dynamically marshal an API for the input and output
>> of a certain service.
>>

> Yes, ad-hoc commands can include payloads other than XEP-0004 data
> forms. It's good to see someone using that extensibility.
>
> Just curious: did you look at XForms?

I looked at XForms. XForms is primarily used for a form based data
transmission while describing certain layers of abstraction. We thought
that these abstractions are already too restrictive and are not required
for a general usage. Though it is still possible to pass XForms in the
data container of our XEP proposal without changing anything. all that
would be advised is to publish a schema with the linking to the XForm
Schema.