[Standards] Components - okay I'm stumped

Fabio Forno fabio.forno at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 08:24:12 UTC 2008

On 4/7/08, anders conbere <aconbere at gmail.com> wrote:
> So I've been following a number of people's discussions on Components
>  and what they've been using them for. Ralph Meijer and Blaine use them
>  to get better use out PubSub other people have been building little
>  logging modules, etc. But it turns out that XEP-0114 and XEP-0225 are
>  pretty sparse on details. They say I send a stream header, but mention
>  nothing about how I refine that stream, how I make requests to the
>  server about /what/ I want.
>
>  I guess I'm just a bit confused about how to interface once I've
>  established a connection as a component.

After that your component is simply an XMPP entity with a FQDN, and
packets addressed to that FQDN are routed to the component, that's
all. If you want to send a packet from [user@]component.example.org,
just write it in the connection and it will be routed by the server,
and incoming packets are routed as well, then it's up to the component
to handle them. In respect to components the server is just a dumb
router of packets, and it's not responsible for session management.
Anyway that's all theory, imho the best way to understand what happens
is to sniff the traffic of a gateway while trying to register.

--
Fabio Forno, Ph.D.
Bluendo srl http://www.bluendo.com
jabber id: ff at jabber.bluendo.com