[Standards] Jingle DTMF: RFC 2833 vs. RFC 4733

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Apr 10 23:42:49 UTC 2008

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> In the jdev chatroom yesterday, someone mentioned that existing SIP
>> applications support DTMF-over-RTP using RFC 2833 and have not yet been
>> updated to conform to RFC 4733. I updated the reference in XEP-0181 when
>> RFC 4733 was published but didn't check into the differences between the
>> specs. I'll try to do that soon.
>>
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2833
>>
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4733
>
> Hmm, that's a bit messy:
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4733#appendix-A
>
> Instead of defining a single "rtp" method, perhaps we need to define two
> different methods, "rfc2833" and "rfc4733"?

I chatted with Diana Cionoiu of the YATE project about this and she
doesn't think we need to define two methods, however she mentioned that
many entities to which we'll want to gateway support RFC 2833 and might
not support RFC 4733 for a while, so that's something gateway developers
should keep in mind.

https://stpeter.im/