[Standards] XEP-0136: last call feedback

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Fri Apr 11 04:34:26 UTC 2008

Here are some last call comments on XEP-0136 (Message Archiving)...

1. Replication

The text in Section 9.4 says:

"Along with its copy of the archive the client SHOULD save the most
recent <last/> identifier that it received from the server. The next
time it synchronizes with the server it SHOULD specify that identifier
when requesting the first result set page (see above)."

However, it's not clear how the client can specify the <last/> value
when it requests the first result set page. Would that be something like
this?

Example 61. Requesting a page of modifications

<iq type='get' id='sync1'>
  <modified xmlns='urn:xmpp:tmp:archive'
            start='1469-07-21T01:14:47Z'
            version='3'/>
    <set xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/rsm'>
==>   <last>rh49al47fh2nzljjfh2lww</last>
      <max>50</max>
    </set>
  </modified>
</iq>

2. x:data forms

Section 4.8 describes how the client can associated attributes with a
collection. I suppose this might be interesting or helpful, but I don't
see why Section 13.3 registers the form fields of 'task', 'important',
and 'action_before'. IMHO the example in Section 4.8 should be scoped by
some fake FORM_TYPE and we should leave these data form definitions up
to particular applications (or extensions to XEP-0136).

3. The 'with' attribute

We still need to finalize how we're going to handle wildcards.

4. Thread integration

I still need to update my working copy to incorporate the results of
list discussion on this topic.

https://stpeter.im/