[Standards] Jingle audio and G.711

Paul Witty paulrw at codian.com
Fri Apr 11 09:53:05 UTC 2008

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Lauri Kaila wrote:
>
>> 2008/4/10, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im>:
>>
>>> Offlist, someone mentioned to me that it might be appropriate for
>>>  XEP-0167 to recommend or even require support for the ITU-T's G.711
>>>  technology, which is represented by payload-types 0 (PCMU) and 8 (PCMA)
>>>  as registered with the IANA.
>>>  http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-G.711/e
>>>
>>>  Thoughts?
>>>

>> I think 64 kbits/s is too much to be mandatory.
>>

> I think the idea was that G.711 is supported everywhere, so recommending
> support for it in Jingle would help interoperability with existing SIP
> networks and the PSTN.

Indeed.  We have a Jingle->SIP/H.323 gateway.  I don't know of any SIP
or H.323 endpoints which support Speex, so if that is the only
recommended codec for Jingle audio, then we have to be prepared to
transcode the audio in all cases.  By guaranteeing a minimum of G.711,
we should be always able to gateway between protocols without
transcoding if so desired, even if we may need to transcode for higher
quality audio e.g. Speex to AAC.

--

Paul